Sheriffs from across the state, law enforcement leaders, and business partners gathered at the Desmond in Albany in January for the 83rd Annual Winter Training Conference. Sessions included:
- Suffolk County Sheriff Vincent DeMarco discussing “The Suffolk County Sheriff’s Approach to Handling ICE Detainees”;
- Herkimer County Sheriff Christopher Farber, Chairman,
- Committee and NYSSA Counsel Thomas Mitchell poviding a “Review of Current Jail Issues”;
- Yates County Sheriff Ron Spike, MPTC Chairman and NSA Board Member, providing an update to the sheriffs on current police training issues;
- Jonathan Bernstein and Shannon T. O’Connor with the Goldberg Segalla Law Firm speaking about “Legal Considerations In The Use Of Body Cameras”;
- Lieutenant Michael J. Gabrielson with the Kettering, Ohio Police Department discussing animal fighting investigations and their relationship to violent crime;
- Joseph M. Hanna and Dennis P. Glasscott with the Goldberg Segalla Law Firm providing a review of current legislative proposals to regulate drone activity in New York;
- Bureau Chief Lourdes M. Rosado, Civil Rights Bureau, New York State Office of the Attorney Generals Office discussing Attorney General Schneiderman’s recent report to law enforcement agencies entitled “NYS OAG Guidance on Local Authority Participation In Immigration Enforcement”
In addition, the sheriffs received reports from the heads of most the state’s major law enforcement entities, including: Rachel Small, Deputy Secretary to the Governor for Public Safety; Commissioner John Melville of the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services; Executive Deputy Commissioner Mike Green of the Division of Criminal Justice Services; Deputy Department of Criminal Justice Services Commissioner Mike Wood, andd Superintendent George Beach of the New York State Police.
The Sheriffs’ Association held its elections at the Winter Conference in January. Assemblyman Joseph Giglio swore in Cattaraugus County Sheriff Tim Whitcomb as the new president of the Association. Former Cattaraugus County Sheriff Jerry Burrell looked on approvingly. Outgoing Association President Herkimer County Sheriff Chris Farber passed the gavel to Sheriff Whitcomb.